Welcome to the Governors section of the John Ball School Website. This is the place you’ll find useful documents about national and local education policy as it relates to our meetings and the decisions we take. You can also find out a bit more about who we are and what we do by following the various links.
The John Ball Governors work together as an executive board to support the school. The governors provide a range of skills and professional experience which are deployed to address the needs of the school in both the short and longer term.
We will endeavour to communicate effectively with parents, and to improve information sharing between us and with others in the school community. We are committed to publishing our meeting minutes, and discussion papers where these are appropriate for sharing.
Please feel free to take a look around, and if you want to talk to any of us about what you’ve read, do feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or to speak to any of my team as you meet them around the school.
Chair of Governors
What does the Governing Body do and who are the Governors?
Our governing body is established to oversee the running, management and leadership of our school. Our governing body includes:
- governors appointed by Lewisham Council
- the Headteacher
- teacher/support staff governors
- community or co-opted governors
- parent governors
Parent governors are elected by the parents of our school and normally serve for four years. Staff governors are elected by staff and normally serve for four years. Co-opted governors are invited onto the governing body, by the governing body, to add areas of expertise and to represent the local community.
The governing body is responsible for many important decisions in the running of the school. These include:
- appointing the Senior Leadership Team and the teaching staff
- agreeing the aims of the school curriculum and ensuring the national curriculum is implemented
- determining how the school’s budget is to be used each year
- deciding how sex education and religious education should be taught in the school
- producing the school prospectus
- deciding what charges should be made for activities outside normal school hours
- dealing with official complaints and exclusions
A full list of governors can be found here: John Ball Governors Pictures 2019-2020
You can contact the governing body by writing to the chair of governors via the school office. Our governors are pleased to hear about thoughts, ideas and issues that staff and parents would like discussed by the governing body. Individual governors can be contacted via the school office.
Full governing body meetings are held once a term in the evening. The agenda for the meeting includes items from the Local Authority, directives and initiatives from the Government and school-based concerns.
Register of Interests 2019/2020
|Name||Name of Business or Organisation||Nature of Business||Nature of InterestIncluding:
||Date Declaration Made|
|Vanessa Amuah||Law||None (Parent of JB pupil)||06/02/2020|
|Louise Atkins||University of Greenwich||Education||None (Parent of JB pupil)||11/09/2019|
|Rachel Austin||Deloitte LLP||Professional Services||Trustee Friends of John Ball(Parent of JB pupil)||8/10/2019|
|Ian Blight||CH2M-Hill||Other Engineering Activities||Stockholder CH2M-Hill||1/11/2019|
|Steven Cummins||London School of Hygiene||Health Care||None (Parent of JB pupil)||18/10/2019|
|Matthew Fields||Metropolitan Police Service||Police||None (Parent of JB pupil)||19/10/2019|
|Nina Hodges||N/A||N/A||None (Parent of JB pupil)||4/11/2019|
|Julie Joyce||Lewisham Borough Council||Education||Employed at John Ball||10/10/2019|
|Sandrine Marionvalle Jaines||Avanti Technology||Financial Consultancy||None (Parent of JB pupil)||29/10/2019|
|Trista McConville||N/A||N/A||None (Parent of JB pupil)||26/11/2019|
|Stephen Mitchell||Lewisham Borough Council||Education||Employed at John Ball||25/10/2019|
|Jacqui Noakes||Lewisham Borough Council||Education||Employed at John Ball||29/10/2019|
|James Powles||Lewisham Borough Council||Education||Employed at John Ball||11/10/2019|
|David Roderick||Self Employed Barrister||Legal||None (Parent of JB pupil)||20/10/2019|
|Emma Smillie||N/A||N/a||None (Parent of JB pupil)||13/11/2019|
|Maria Valkova||Lewisham Borough Council||Admin||Employed at John Ball||11/10/2019|
|Linda Yue||The Scribes||Writing||None||4/11/2019|
If you have any questions about items covered in the minutes, please contact the Chair of Governors, Louise AtkinsThe minutes of our meetings will be available here as soon as they are finalised.
- Governor’s Minutes 24th April 2018
- Governor’s Minutes 16th January 2018
- Governor’s Minutes 10th October 2017
- Governor’s Minutes 18th July 2017
- Governor’s Minutes 18th April 2017
- Governor’s Minutes 30th January 2017
- Governor’s Minutes 11th October 2016
- Governor’s Minutes 18th July 2016
- Governor’s Minutes 19th April 2016
- Governor’s Minutes 26 January 2016
- Governor’s Minutes 21st October 2015
- Governors Minutes July 2015
- Governors Minutes April 2015
- Governors Minutes January 2015
- Governors Minutes October 2014
- Governors Minutes July 2014
- Governor’s minutes: April 2014
- Governor’s minutes (special meeting): April 2014
- Governor’s minutes: January 2014
- Governor’s minutes: October 2013
- Governor’s minutes: July 2013
- Governor’ minutes: March 2013
- Governor’s minutes: December 2012
- Governor’s minutes: October 2012
- Governor’s minutes: Summer 2012
- Governor’s minutes: Spring 2012
- Governor’s minutes: Autumn 2011
- Governor’s minutes: Autumn 2011 (2)